TAKE ACTION NOW!
Thank you for your work to support the Child Nutrition Reauthorization Act.
When you return from recess, please act swiftly to pass a stronger CNR than was passed in the Senate. Please know that these are the issues most important to me:
1. Increased funding for meals to at least $8 billion over 10 years. Currently schools spend only 90 cents on food costs alone for a five component meal. We need at least an additional dollar for lunch and fifty cents for breakfast. (Senator Gillibrand asked for 70 cents, the White House administration asked for 1 billion per year which is 18.5 cents, the Senate approved 6 cents.) Tie increases in funding to positive changes, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, plant-based entrees, and non-dairy beverage options so that our additional tax dollars result in better health.
2. Please include the provisions of the following in the CNR:
- H.R. 4870 supports plant-based commodities and a pilot program to test them
- HR4310 denies tax deductions for advertising and marketing of unhealthy food to children
- HR4333 supports salad bars, fresh fruits and vegetables
There has never been a more important time to take action and make a statement that our children’s health must be addressed now, to avoid the continued and worsening catastrophic health consequences, as well as unprecedented spending which will be necessitated as a result of the worsening health of our children.
<your full mailing address>